Support Clean Energy by Improving Your Home
One of the most important things you can do to ensure the advancement of clean energy in Maryland is to improve your own bottom line by improving your home. Saving money and resources through energy efficiency is the best place to start.
There are many technologies that improve energy efficiency. Here are just a few:
- Insulation – Super insulating your home is by far the most cost-effective way to reduce energy use.
- Lighting and Appliances – Compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs and light-emitting diode (LED) light bulbs use significantly less electricity than traditional light bulbs. Upgrade to Energystar rated appliances and save electricity and water use.
- HVAC- Replace your outdated HVAC system with a more efficient model and save.
- Geothermal – See if a geothermal heating/cooling system is right for you and your home.
Consider solar technologies for producing hot water or electricity:
- Depending on your roof area and your home’s orientation to the Sun, your home may be a good candidate for a solar system, either solar PV or solar hot water.
- Between tax incentives and SRECs (Solar Renewable Energy Credits) the payback time for purchasing solar system can be significantly reduced.
- Since 2010, the cost of solar PV panels has dropped by 49% nationally. It’s never been so affordable.
There are many Federal, State, and local financing incentives available to homeowners for improving their homes. Check our Financing and Incentives pages or more on loans and other incentives.