Growing the Maryland Clean Energy Economysponsored by
December 8, 2015
8:00 AM to 9:00 AM
Registration & Continental Breakfast
9:00 AM to 9:15 AM
- George Ashton, Chairman MCEC Board of Directors
Special Guest Speakers:
- Hon. Chris Van Hollen; US House of Representatives; MD-08
- Hon. John P. Sarbanes, US House of Representatives; MD-03
9:15 AM to 9:45 AM
Investing in Energy Solutions: The National Perspective & Federal Support for Green Banks
Across the globe green bank financing and investment strategies are bringing an increasing share of private sector capital to the marketplace. How will public support at the Federal level incentivize even greater activity on the state level?
- Jeff Schub, Executive Director, Coalition for Green Capital
- Bryan Garcia, Connecticut Green Bank
9:45 AM to 10:00 AM
Plan for Maryland Green Bank Development: Recommendations from Study Phase II
- Anton Cohen, Cohn Reznick
- I. Katherine Magruder, Executive Director Maryland Clean Energy Center
10:00 AM to 10:15 AM
The Investor Perspective
Hear from national and regional bank representatives, as well as a leading investor in sustainable infrastructure about their vision of the market potential.
- Eric Heintz, Vice President; M&T Bank
- Michael Bruce, Director; Hannon Armstrong Sustainable Infrastructure
10:15 AM -10:30 AM
10:30 AM -11:30 AM
Strategic Investment Presentation I:
Solutions for Low to Moderate Income Residential Consumers
Using green bank financing is one way to help insure access to energy cost saving solutions for homeowner. Learn about initiatives to reduce costs for more low income ratepayers across the state with access to solar generation, with on the job training to build the workforce as a bonus!
- Nicole Steele, Executive Director; Grid Alternatives
- Myriam Tourneux, Director, Strategic Initiatives; Fuel Fund of Maryland
- Corey Ramsden, Program Director; MDSUN
11:30 AM to 11:45 AM
Strategic Investment Presentation II:
The Future of PACE in Maryland
Maryland counties are embracing property assessed clean energy lending models to help small business, commercial and industrial property owners realize cost savings from energy improvements on their properties. Hear from MPACE program managers about progress to date and find out about efforts on the Federal level to reinvigorate residential PACE lending solutions.
- Jessica Bailey, PFS & Greenworks Lending
- David Gabrielson, PACE Now, Executive Director
- Candace Vahlsing, Senior Policy Analyst; Domestic Policy Council (invited)
11:45 AM to Noon
The Policy Landscape & Audience Interface
A sneak peek of priority topics currently surfacing as the General Assembly prepares to reconvene in January. Will you be part of the discussion?
- Tiffany Hartung, Sr. Coordinator; Maryland Climate Coalition
NOON to 1:00 PM
As the Maryland Climate Change Commission wraps up their work on recommendations to increase the state greenhouse gas reduction goals, Secretary Grumbles will share his insight on the plan and the necessity of targeted investment to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Hon. Ben Grumbles, Secretary; Maryland Department of Environment
1:00 PM to 1:30 PM
Strategic Investment Presentation III:
Microgrids for Resiliency: Solutions for Prepared Communities
In an emergency, community leaders need to insure critical infrastructure is operational and shelter sites have power. Microgrids can be the solution but are costly to design and develop for communities that are already financially challenge. How can green bank financing be utilized to assist?
- Michele Mitch Peterson, Honeywell; Energy & Environmental Services
- Geoff Oxnam, Vice President; Easton Utilities
- Eric Coffman, Chief Energy & Sustainability; Montgomery County Department of General Services
1:30 PM to 2:00 PM
Strategic Investment Presentation IV:
Access to Capital for Small Business & Agricultural Enterprise: Removing Barriers to Success
An investment in energy demand and cost saving measures could be most beneficial to the bottom line for small business operators and agriculture producers, but cash flow restrictions are often a prohibitive roadblock to taking proactive steps. Find out how targeted financing strategies can help remove barriers to achieve savings.
- Ryan Slipper, Evolved Environmental Energy
- Henry Garner, Managing Director; BVFR & Associates, LLC.
- Bruce Weaver, State Energy Coordinator, USDA Rural Development Program
2:00 PM to 2:30 PM
Strategic Investment Presentation V:
Enabling Innovation & Job Creation
The transfer of new clean tech innovations through the commercialization pipeline takes a commitment of capital. How can Maryland better support entrepreneurs, facilitate related job creation and advance new energy related technological solutions in the future?
- Kevin Brown, Hobbs & Towne Inc.
- Rich O’Brien, Ecotech Advisors
2:30 to 3:00 PM
Next Steps & Wrap Up Discussion