Maryland Home Energy Loan Program (MHELP)
The Maryland Energy Administration is partnering with the Maryland Clean Energy Center, with support from the U.S. Department of Energy, in an innovative energy efficiency financing initiative for Maryland property owners.
As part of the Governor’s Smart, Green, and Growing Initiative, the Maryland Home Energy Loan Program (MHELP) helps Marylanders take control of their energy future and stimulate new “green collar” jobs.
This new initiative uses private capital for energy efficiency investment and encourages Marylanders to invest in their homes, reduce their energy bills, support economic development and job creation, and minimize their environmental impact.
MHELP consumers completing equipment upgrades such as a furnace or HVAC unit, must meet ENERGY STAR standards.
How To Apply
You are eligible if…
- This is your primary residence located in the state of Maryland.
- You are making qualifying improvements. For a list of qualifying improvements, click here.
- You have good credit and the ability to repay.
- You are using a Mariner Finance approved contractor. To find an approved contractor, call 1-866-562-6764.
- What qualifies for 9.99% APR?
- Any single qualifying ENERGY STAR® improvements or replacements. No audit is necessary.
- 100% unsecured financing
- Loan amounts ranging from $1,500-$20,000
- Up to a 10 year amortization.
How do I get a MD Home Energy Loan?
1. Talk to your Maryland Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® or Mariner Finance Approved Contractor for an estimate on qualifying improvements. To find an MHELP approved contractor please contact Mariner Finance at 866-562-6764.
2. For fast pre-approval, apply online at here. You can also apply by phone at 1-866-562-6764 or fax the enclosed application to 1-866-243-1104.
3. A Mariner Finance Customer Service Representative will contact you with a quick decision and can provide answers to any questions you may have.
4. Mariner Finance will pay the Contractor directly when the work is completed to your satisfaction.
The following is a list of eligible projects that can be financed through the MHELP program. The list cannot take into account all project scenarios but if the work you are considering does not appear on the list, assume it is not eligible. If you would like to discuss a specific scenario, contact I. Katherine Magruder at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Insulation for: whole house air sealing, attics, crawl spaces, rim joist,basements, walls, attic baffles, crawlspace, vapor barriers, attic tents, foundation walls.
- Duct sealing
- Equipment replacement: water heaters, boilers, furnaces, HVAC, heat pumps.
- Repairs: repairs required to install energy measures or to correct health and safety issues.This would include repairing a hole needed to apply energy efficiency improvements.
- Chimney energy improvements to include chimney caps.
- Weather stripping: exterior windows and doors.
- Energy Monitoring equipment: hardware and software that allows homeowners to monitor their energy usage while away from home.
- Window and door replacement, Solar PV, geothermal and appliances are not covered under the MHELP program.
Become an Approved MHELP Contractor
To become an approved contractor, call Mariner Finance at 866-562-6764.